Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday Night

Aye Aye Aye.

Writers are advised to sit and attempt a writing assignment every day, in order to keep ourselves sharp. Even in my actual creative writing courses in college, this was true.  And it is true.

Lately I have been into seriously damaging the rules of grammar to stretch myself into understanding colloquialisms.. I grew up in a house in which bad grammar was sacrilege. I never used ain't and I was corrected from the local slang of saying "Crick" instead of creek. I, myself, was a language snob to some degree and I think I thought myself above others who used slang and spoke with the local Philly accent. This didn't do much to make me a friend of my peers. On the one hand, I was terrified of my neighbors, but on the other hand I secretly knew I was smarter than they because they spoke like ignoramuses and I didn't. Maybe in the future that will help explain why I suffered so much bullying in school, aside from the fact that I was intensely introverted.
Despite my ex father-in-law's suggestion to write about people, because an author can do so many things to his enemies in a book, legally, that he can't get away with in real life, I never seriously considered it until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment